Reviewing IRC Clients
I'm looking for reviews of IRC programs (clients) to put up alongside the Client List pages. If you want to review a program, please contact liam at w3.org first.
Here is what to do next.
Make careful notes; maybe keep a pen and paper handy, in case your computer crashes!
Installing the software
- Was it easy to find the right version to download? If not, give the URL you used.
- Was the installation easy? Were there any difficult questions?
- Did the package depend on you having anything else installed?
- Did you need to restart your computer after installing?
- If it's a script, what client (IRC program) is it for?
Running the Software
- What windows appear when you first start the program?
- Did you find any problems?
- Can you edit the list of servers?
- Can you control whether it autoconnects?
- Does it support multiple active sessions, with autoconnects and different nicks?
- does it do DCC?
- Does it show a JPG image while it's arriving, with DCC?
- what scripting language?
- what web integration is there? cick on URLs? save a list?
- can you change the fonts and colours?
- can it do logging and timestamping?
- can you use C/C++ modules too?
- did the program feel slick? Did things generally seem to work?
- Can you change keybindings?
- Can you switch channels without using a mouse?
- Can you use the mIRC-style alt-1, alt2 to switch channel windows?
- Does it have a status window, and if so, can you control what goes in it?
- Would you recommend it? To what sort of user?
Running the Software
- how much does it cost?
- is source available?
- is there a free trial?
Rate the program
A good rating helps people choose quickly
BAD had trojans, back doors, or is dangerous! :-( don't bother * works but not very nice ** you could use this if you had to *** good, solid, with all the main features **** better than most, very solid ***** you decided to use this program, it's the best
This will help me understand how to use your review.
- Which IRC clients do you normally use? Which do you like the best?
- How long have you been using IRC?
- What is most important in an IRC client?
- What colour socks are you wearing? What sort of shoes?
- When you send me the review, remember to say who you are, and what nick you use, so I can give you credit.